FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Do you accept used/secondhand books?
Yes, we accept donations of secondhand books, provided they are not more than 10 years old & are intact and in good shape (no missing pages, covers, spines, etc). We only accept donations; we do not buy used books.
Do you sell textbooks?
- New textbooks can be found here; please note that we only stock new textbooks when the prof has specifically ordered them with us.
- We do sell used textbooks, however there is no inventory for used books - but you can come in and browse!
What is artisan consignment?
Artisan consignment is a service that the Co-op offers to artisans who wish to put up their products for consignment. Artisan consignment is done in 3 period during the year: Jun-Jul-Aug, Oct-Nov-Dec, and Feb-March-Apr. If the products sell by the end of the consignment period, the artisan is paid; if not, the products are returned to them or donated to the Co-op if they wish. Artisans whose products did not sell may also apply for the next artisan period.
How does membership work?
- $10 for a regular membership
- $5 for Concordia students
- $100 for Support Memberships (groups, organizations, collectives, etc)
- Lifetime membership, no expiry
- 5% discount on all new products
- The ability to attend and vote at our AGMs, and the ability to nominate yourself for our Board of Directors
What does it mean to be a co-op/not-for-profit?
Being a co-op means that we do not operate in a typical hierarchal, capitalist business model: instead of one singular owner we have a Board of Directors, as well as thousands of members who each have a share in the bookstore. Some goals that co-ops strive to work towards are solidarity, equity, democracy, and community. For more on who we are as a co-operative, check out our mandate and values.
As for being a not-for-profit, this simply means that any surplus we make goes into paying our worker-members and back into the bookstore (stock, maintenance, worker projects, etc).